Here is my 2012 retrospect:
- I started this little blog! At first it was just an outlet for me to vent about my frustrations with organic chemistry, but it's grown so much within the past nine months or so. Thank you all for following my adventures! I know I've kind of slipped off the radar since the end of summer, but I hope to get back into the blogging mode this upcoming year.
- I saw the Dalai Lama! His visit was the coolest thing that's ever happened to Loyola. It was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience--especially seeing him wearing a Loyola baseball cap!
- I went to take classes in Rome. And it was, in the words of Barney in How I Met Your Mother, "legend-waitforit-dary!"
- I began working in a research lab. I might not know what I'm doing all the time, but who knows? My cultivating bacteria could possibility contribute something to science. If anything, I've learned that plaques of bacteria don't smell all that great.
- The Olympics were on! I'm a sucker for the Olympics. Although I didn't enjoy these games as much as I have in the past (due to NBC's absolutely TERRIBLE coverage!), I still loved the thrill of watching the opening ceremony, the U.S. "Fab Five" Woman's Gymnastics Team, and Michael Phelps win one last time in the pool.
- I was a Welcome Week Leader, meaning I led new freshman in orientation activities at Loyola before their classes began. I gotta say, I had as much fun doing all the fun activities as they did. I was basically a freshman all over again, at least for a few days.
- I worked as an academic coach to high school freshman through Target New Transitions. Yes, it sucks to get up at 6am on Saturday mornings, but, once I get enough coffee in me, I love the whole experience. I'll save it for another post, but the gist is that I coach freshman in all things to do with high school, from math to meeting new friends. The students I work with amaze me every Saturday, and remind me how tough high school was.
- I became a lifetime member of Alpha Chi Omega. Being in a social sorority is something I never planned on doing in college, due to the stereotypes that surround "sorority girls". I've spent my Christmas vacation telling my relatives that sororities are not what they look like on Animal House. I've met some AMAZING friends that I never would've had I not joined my sorority. Our saying goes "Alpha Chi, Alpha Chi, Alpha Chi, 'til I die", and it's true: I'm going to have these friends for the rest of my life!
- I turned 21! Enough said.
- I voted in the presidential election. My only regret about voting absentee is that I didn't get one of those cute "I voted" stickers they give out on election day. Bummer.
What's in store for 2013? I honestly have NO idea. I have the MCAT coming up in April and sorority events, of course. I'm continuing my jobs and will probably be a Welcome Week Leader again. This summer I apply to medical school. But other than that, so much is up in the air at this point. I'll just have to see what life throws at me...and I can't wait.
Happy 2013 everybody!
Happy 2013 everybody!