Saturday, June 30, 2012

Rome's Best Gelaterias

One of my professors in Rome was a bit of a gelato connoisseur. He doesn't eat sweets all throughout the year--he only eats sweets (i.e. GELATO) during the 6 weeks that he teaches the summer session in Rome. I'm serious here.

So...we went to a LOT of gelato places. He ranked for us the Top 7 gelato places in Rome. See, gelato isn't just ice cream (beginner's mistake, I'm afraid). It's like ice cream on steroids. Instead of being made with cream, it's made mostly with milk, making it be healthier for you...according to my teacher, at least.

Here were some of my favorite gelato treats, and the gelaterias I'd recommend visiting in Rome.

FRIGIDARIUM



This is their signature "Frigidarium" flavor (some sort of butterscotch) hand dipped in dark chocolate with a cookie placed on top. The chocolate-dipping is what they're known for.

OLD BRIDGE


Old Bridge is known for their generous portions. See this cone here? It was already half done by the time I took this picture. This is their pistachio and cookie flavor. When in Rome, you must try a pistachio gelato. I had never tried anything pistachio before, and by the end of the trip it's the only flavor I wanted to eat!

GELATERIA CREPERIE


My last gelato in Rome! This gelateria was close to our campus. It won't make any "best gelateria" lists (except mine), but it was conveniently located near our campus and was well-priced. This is pistachio and muffin--yes, muffin!

GELATERIA DEL TEATRO



According to my teacher, this is the best gelateria. Hands down. It's located in this tiny alleyway, so it's a little hard to find. I tried the dark chocolate (made with a red wine), and the rosemary. It was delicious.

--Becky

14 comments:

  1. Now I am going to be craving gelato all day. Except I can't get it. Someday, when I go to Italy, I am going to try all of these. Pistaschio and cookie/muffin. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! When you go to Italy, eating gelato is a must. There are some recipes for making it at home, so I think I might try them to get rid of my gelato withdrawal.

      Delete
  2. Looks nice! Like your blog!

    http://mesmemos.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Going to check yours out too.

      Delete
  3. Yum these all look fantastic! I've never tried gelato...but you've convinced me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try it! It's a life-changing experience, trust me.

      Delete
  4. Ooooh! looks sooo delicious! Gosh want one...
    xoxo
    mloescloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I want one too now after looking at all my pics.

      Delete
  5. Oh my god I really love Rome!
    And yes, it's a nice place :) And I love it more because I went with my boyfriend, our first trip together and I'm sad when I think in this days, because now I can't be with him

    nice blog, following you too!

    www.sweetiecharlotte.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Rome is an amazing city and it's really romantic too! I'm sure it was a great trip to take with your boyfriend :)

      Delete
  6. i wish i'd eat all those ice cream:))

    maybe check out my blog:)
    http://mollymers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's soooo good! Going to check out your blog now :)

      Delete
  7. That gelato looks sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good, trust me! Best ice cream in the world.

      Delete

Comments are going to moderation for the meantime. I've just been receiving too much spam! Still, please comment, I'll make sure your comments appear as quickly as possible :) Also, leave behind your blog URL so I can visit it! Thank you!
--Becky