Tuesday, September 18, 2012

College-Friendly Desserts

I had to go to a party this weekend and, being the nice friend I am, thought I should bring some food to share. The problem is, what do you make when you're on a college budget and your kitchen cupboards only contain ramen noodles?

The answer (courtesy of Pinterest) is Oreo Truffles.



I take no credit whatsoever for this genius idea--that goes to Nikki at Chef-In-Training. Honestly, a desert that requires no baking, three ingredients and makes enough for everyone at the party? I'm there.


For about 25 truffles I used:

--1 package Double Stuf Oreos
--1 8oz package of Cream Cheese
--1 package Hershey's Bliss White Chocolate



Crushing up the Oreos turned out to be a problem without a rolling pin, but a wooden spoon and about fifteen minutes of mashing them gave me this.


I added the whole 8oz of creme cheese to the Oreo crumbs mixture and rolled them into 1" balls. Some crumbs should be leftover. Then I froze the balls for 15 min.


While the TIPs (truffles-in-progress) were waiting, I unwrapped the white chocolates and melted them for about 1 minute in the microwave. 


After the balls were frozen, I dunked them in the melted white chocolate and, before the truffles could set, garnished them with the leftover Oreo crumbs (it kind of worked)...When dipping the truffles, using a spoon instead of just your fingers helps you cover all the surface, in my experience.

[yes, I wasn't just eating these by myself..I just did some amazing cropping for this picture!]

Volia! Me at the party holding one of my delicious truffles. They're so sweet you can't eat more than one at a sitting. 

The whole "cooking" process took about forty-five minutes, but if I had a food processor or a rolling pin I could've crushed the Oreos much quicker. 

Super short on time? Grab a tube of pre-made cookie dough and bake some cookies. They turn out good every time.


Any suggestions on the next easy dessert I should try?

3 comments:

  1. Yummy, I think I'll try those for our next get together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love oreo truffles! I make them every thanksgiving as an extra dessert. If you like mint, you should try making them with mint oreos. They are delish!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are going to moderation for the meantime. I've just been receiving too much spam! Still, please comment, I'll make sure your comments appear as quickly as possible :) Also, leave behind your blog URL so I can visit it! Thank you!
--Becky